Even a small cut or a bruise hurts a lot. Imagine the pain that could happen during surgery if not for anesthesia effects.
An anesthesiologist is a specialist who administers anesthesia to induce temporary loss of pain to ensure safe, comfortable, and painless surgery.
Becoming an anesthesiologist in India is very competitive and if you are up for the challenge, read our article to understand how to become an Anesthesiologist in India, the eligibility, what an anesthesiologist does, anesthesiologist degree, anesthesiologist qualifications, anesthesiology course, top colleges, and anesthesia doctor salary in India.
Who is an Anesthesiologist?
Anesthesiology is a branch of medicine that is concerned with the perioperative care of patients before, during, and after surgery which causes temporary loss of awareness, feeling, and consciousness during medical procedures.
An Anesthesiologist is a medically certified specialist or a doctor qualified to administer anesthetics to a patient.
Types of Anesthesiologists
There is a broad range of medical practices that involves surgical procedures to treat an underlying ailment or a disorder.
An Anesthesiologist plays a key role in every surgical procedure to ensure the patient doesn’t experience pain during the surgery. There are different types of Anesthesiologists such as:
1. Neuro Anesthesiologists –
Assists Neurosurgeons during surgery involving the nervous systems, brain, and spinal cord.
2. Cardiac Anesthesiologists –
Assists during cardiac operations especially on the heart.
3. Pediatric Anesthesiologists –
They help in relieving pain for children during surgery.
4. Obstetrics Anesthesiologists –
They assist OB-GYN children and labor in case surgery procedures are used.
What does an Anesthesiologist do?
An anesthesiologist is an important personnel for comfortable and painless surgery. They play a crucial role before, during, and after every surgery.
They assess the patient’s health in collaboration with the surgeon to ensure the right anesthesia care to make it as safe and comfortable as possible.
Before surgery, they administer general or localized anesthesia and during the surgery, they monitor the vital signs and adapt quickly if necessary, and after surgery, they ensure safe wear-off of anesthesia for recovery.
Anesthesiologists take care of patients during labor to manage pain effectively.
Skills Required to Become an Anesthesia Specialist
- Problem-solving ability
- Decision-making capacity
- Ability to work long hours under pressure
- Understanding of medical terminologies
- Analytical ability
- Strong communication and intrapersonal skills
- Resource management skills
- Attention to detail in Surgery
- Ability to monitor and interpret vital signs
- Compassion and empathy
Eligibility to become an Anesthesiologist
To become an Anesthesiologist in India, an aspiring candidate must have the following academic qualifications.
- Must have cleared +2 or 12th standard with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology as main subjects.
- An MBBS from a recognized medical institution in India
- Postgraduate Program or MD in Anesthesia after MBBS
How to Become an Anesthesiologist in India? A Step-by-Step Guide
Here is a step-by-step guide to becoming an Anesthesiologist in India:
- An aspiring candidate must take 11th and 12th standard in the science stream with biology as the main subject and complete at least 50% aggregate.
- Register and clear NEET competitive examination and secure admission to an Indian medical college.
- Enroll in an undergraduate MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) program.
- Clear the MBBS program, register for NEET PG, and clear the entrance examination.
- Enroll for 3 years MD (Doctor of Medicine) with a specialization in Anesthesia.
- Complete the master’s program specialization and secure a residency program in a reputed hospital and get certified to become an Anesthesiologist.
- An Anesthesiologist can also get certification for sub-specialization if necessary.
Career Opportunities for an Anesthesiologist
Due to increasing surgical treatments for health disorders, the demand for anesthesiologists is rising.
They can find employment opportunities in public and private hospitals, medical colleges, specialty hospitals, etc. The demand for anesthesia specialists is not limited to the field of healthcare but also military, research and pharmaceutical, etc.
The demand for India-educated Anesthesiologists is not just domestic but also international. National and International Universities hire Anesthesiologists for teaching purposes.
The average salary of an Anesthesiologist is Rs.10L/annum in India. Since Anesthesiologist is a part of every surgery both localized and general.
The demand for entry-level candidates is on the rise. The entry-level salary of an Anesthesiologist in India in a private hospital is Rs.6L/annum.
Candidates with experience of more than 10 years earn up to Rs.18L/annum in India.
Top Medical Colleges for Anesthesiology Course in India
Anesthesiology is a popular medical specialization. Some of the top colleges in India to become an Anesthesiologist are
- Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Patna
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
- JSS Medical College and Hospital, Mysuru
- Ramaiah Medical College, Bengaluru
- Annamalai University, Chidambaram
- University College of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- Lady Hardinge Medical college, New Delhi
Pros and Cons of Being an Anesthesiologist
The pros of becoming an Anesthesiologist
- Flexible Work schedule
- Competitive salary
- Job satisfaction
- Diverse practice
- Less responsibility
The cons of becoming an Anesthesiologist
- Lack of appreciation
- Lower bargaining power
- High Competition
- High pressure and stress
- Challenges with scheduling
- An Anesthesiologist is important medical personnel whose work is majorly concentrated in operation theaters especially during surgery.
- They are part of every surgery to administer anesthesia before surgery and monitor vital signs during surgery and assist patients during recovery and ensure the anesthesia effects are worn off.
- Becoming an Anesthesiologist is a highly competitive specialization in medicine and is also a highly paid medical specialization.
Frequently Asked Questions
There is a rising demand for surgical procedures to treat different disorders and pursuing a career in Anesthesia is a good option.
Yes, Anesthesiologists are doctors specialized in administering Anesthesia during surgeries.
Yes, candidates must clear competitive exams like NEET or other private examinations by the institution to enroll in B.Sc Anesthesia.
In the Resident program, it takes at least 10 years to become an Anesthesiologist after completing the 12th standard.
The duration of an MD (Doctor of Medicine) in Anesthesia is 3 years.
Yes, to become an Anesthesiologist, candidates must clear NEET and enroll in an MBBS program.
Compared to other medical specialties, pursuing Anesthesiology is not hard.
There is no gender bias to become an Anesthesiologist and anyone can pursue the career option in the medical field.
Yes, Anesthesiologists use math to calculate quickly and accurately to administer anesthesia.
Yes, anesthesiologists are paid well and make 6 figure salaries.
The average salary of an Anesthesiologist in India is Rs.12L/annum.
Surgeons are paid more than Anesthesiologists. Read the above article in detail to know how to become an anesthesiologist in India.